“Summer is a season of separates with shorts in all guises taking center stage.” net-a-porter
Ladies in the house – it’s time to power up on the leg exercises and stock up on moisturizing cream as the Shorts are here and they’re here to stay.
This season, shorts that grabs attention is all the rage: Printed shorts. Bright colored shorts. Shorts with texture. Shorts that can bring you from day to night.
In short, Shorts are getting upgraded.
We are spoilt for choices in the stores today with the variety of shorts available. They are stocking everything from brocade, floral, tropical, silk, paisley, high-waist, low-waist, cut-offs, and many more.
Fret not, I have the secret to rocking the Shorts this season; in 3 easy steps.
STEP 1: Understand your body before you hit the stores. This way, you can narrow down the type of shorts that will naturally look good on you.
If you are/have:
- Tummy: flat front shorts, ideally with side zips; avoid additional volume in the front such as belts, big pockets, or pleats
- Long torso: mid to high waisted, short to mid-length shorts
- Petite: short shorts to show longer leg length
- Slim legs: shorts width are not too wide to avoid obscene exposure
- Curvy: long shorts (or bermudas) that end just above the knee
- Straight: short to long shorts with flexibility to play with volume and turn-ups
- Wide hips: straight shorts ending below the widest part of your body to above the knee will be most flattering
- Heavier top: shorts with thicker fabric and volume such as pleats to balance bottom with the top
STEP 2: Lower your cost-per-wear by styling one pair of Shorts 7 ways
- blazer, shorts, flats/heels (see outfits here and here)
- buttoned up shirt, printed shorts (Alexa Chung’s fav)
- loose tank, shorts, loose vest, arm candy (complete high street)
- crop bra top (oh so hot right now), shorts
- sleeveless button-up blouse, shorts, flat boots
- spring sweater, shorts
- loose blouse, shorts, scarf
I am no way a beauty blogger but when it comes to wearing the Shorts, do your legs justice and …
STEP 3: Beautify your legs
- Shave (if you need/do)
- Exercise regularly to tone the legs
- Avoid tan lines – so not sexy
- Refrain from peeling or scratching the summer bug bites to avoid scarring
- Apply sunblock so you can wear shorts when spring/summer comes next year!
- – Outfit – -
Bottom: H&M (similar)
Shoes: Sam Edelman
Bag: Miu Miu (used as a clutch)
Sunglasses: Chanel 4185
*Sign up on the top right hand corner to be the first to hear about Jenn’s latest style tips