One of my summer must-have is the shift dress – it is the one piece of clothing that you can easily put on and head straight out the door.
You are not wrong – the first sound of a shift dress is
granny retro or boring. Which leads us to the question – how do you look effortlessly chic in a shift dress?
Simply follow the tips below:
1. A streamlined shift that fits your body (i.e. not too tight or too loose, skims the body but not cling)
2. Slightly A-lined and ends above the knee or shorter
3. Brightly colored, nicely printed, or has interesting textures or details (e.g. lace, jeweled neck-line, ruffles, etc)
This particular dress I am wearing caught my eye with its laser cut detail against a neon pink lining. The scalloped hem line was an additional bonus that gave the dress a feminine feel.
You can shift the dress between day or night easily by pairing it with flats during the day and heels for the night.
I paired the shift dress with high heels and a clutch. To wear this dress casual, I will pair it with my metallic ribbon flats.
Other ways to dress up a shift dress:
- Fun and youthful: feminine accessories such as a headband, cute earrings, and a messenger bag
- Edgy: Gladiator heels, spiked/skull bangles and sunnies
- Evening: Pulled back hair, heels, clutch, and oversized diamante earrings
A highly versatile dress that is chic and gives you both casual and dressy options; maximizing your cost-per-wear ratio – what is there not to love about the shift dress?!
– – Outfit – –
Shoes: Christian Louboutin
Bag: present from friend (thanks B!)
Cuff: Galliano, Sunglass: Chanel 4185